A number of disadvantages of the LinkedIn newsletter at a glance:
- A big disadvantage of this function is that you can only create 1 newsletter. As a result, you cannot, for example, create different newsletters based on themes.
- You can’t see who opened the newsletter, nor who clicked on a link (just how many times). If you do want to see this, you can of course work with UTM codes.
- When you create your first newsletter, you must already determine how often your newsletter will appear. Daily, weekly, monthly… Although I have also read that this is more of a guideline (for yourself and/or for your followers) instead of a hard requirement.
- If LinkedIn decides to stop this feature, you will of course lose your subscribers. And where they now state that it ‘might’ become possible to export subscriber data, I’m guessing it will never happen.
But of course there are also advantages.
- This way you can send all your LinkedIn followers a notification when you start with your first newsletter.
- You may post links outside the platform (although the question is how long LinkedIn will allow this).
- You can also share videos, images and slides in the format.
- Your newsletter can also be found via Google. So it can certainly be a nice traffic driver.
Why does LinkedIn make this choice?
With this new function LinkedIn adds interesting opportunities for companies and other (content) creators. An additional way to reach your audience in a more exclusive way. In addition, LinkedIn has COO Email List expanded its newsroom. Both in the Netherlands (from 2 to 5 editors) and worldwide (to a total of 200). With this they want to make the reporting more extensive and in-depth and to do more with sector-specific news provision.
The focus therefore seems to be on news and its distribution. Would that be the new direction the platform is taking, because the business nature has subsided?
This article previously appeared in a shorter form in the Frankwatching Weekly. Would you also like to receive this Saturday edition in your mailbox? Register here .